(By Mr. Willard Rude)
The first Clifton School was a small one-room, wood-frame building located a quarter of a mile east of Clifton. it was heated with a wood stove.
In 1907 a two-room brick building was built on the northwest corner of the crossroads in Clifton. In early years from the time it was•built until the late 1920s the building was used for Sunday school and church services for the Methodist Church. Grades one through ten were taught there. Children formerly from Districts 1, 2 and 3 attended this school. In 1920 when Brownsville High School was commissioned, the ninth and tenth grades went on to Brownsville High School. It was used for grades one through eight until the early 1950s; then it was used from grades one through three for all Brownsville Township children.
12 The Liberty Herald, Sesquicentennial Edition, 1971
In 1961 after consolidation, the Clifton School was closed. The building is still in use to raise fishing bait.