(Union County History, High School Library,
The first schoolhouse in Center Township was located in Section Nine about 1820. It was built of logs and had oiled paper over the windows, and with a large fireplace at one end. This school was one of a series of schools built new and called Greenwood. Ambrose Burnside is thought to have been the first teacher. The only textbooks were the New Testament and a spelling book.
About 1850 a new schoolhouse was built on land owned by Lydia Snyder in Section Three. This was called a three-months school as they held school three months in the spring and three months in the fall.
In 1870 the building, called Greenwood, was moved to Section Nine, the present site of the Greenwood United Brethren Church.
In 1898 the Mendenhall and the Greenwood schools were consolidated, and a new building was placed on the southwest corner of Section Two. This school was a two-room brick building.
In 1906 a basement was added and a hot air furnace installed. In 1907 the Burt School was closed, and the pupils transferred to Greenwood. In 1915 a new room was added and the basement enlarged. Until about 1918 the first and second grades of high school were taught. The third and fourth years of high school were acquired at the Liberty High School.
In 1922 the Witter School was closed, and the pupils were taken to Greenwood. The school was finally closed in 1937.