NEW HOPE SCHOOL, NO. 5, HARMONY TOWNSHIP
(By Mrs. Gordon Brandenburg)
Land for the New Hope School was donated by James and Mary Snowden, great-great grandfather of Mrs. Gordon Brandenburg in 1820. The land was also to be used for the church of New Hope -- the one and one-twentieth acres "to be kept and maintained for burial, religious and educational purposes forever." The frame school building is still standing and is now a residence. The school was constructed by John Snowden, grandfather of Mrs. Brandenburg, around 1892 and was located at the intersection of the Billingsville-Oxford Road and State Road 101 in the southeast corner of the intersection.
The New Hope School in Harmony Township closed in the 1956-57 school year, and the students were transferred to Union School at College Corner.