The first public school in Brownsville Township was near the town of Brownsville, prior to the platting of the town. The schoolhouse was built of hewn logs and had a dirt floor. Greased paper was used over the windows to let light in. It was heated by a fireplace and hewn logs and slabs served for seats.
Later a log school building was built in the east part of town. This building served as the principal schoolhouse for many years.
A subscription school was taught for many years during the spring months in the building now occupied as a dwelling by Mrs. Kinder. After building the present Methodist Church, the old brick church was used some years for school purposes.
In 1856 a two-story brick building was erected on the site of the present school building, and served as the school-house until torn down in 1897, which was replaced by a neat four-room building. This last building was replaced in 1912 by the present grade school building.
Public schooling in Brownsville Township began with the district schools, seven of which served the township.
The schools of Philomath and Brownsville were consolidated at Brownsville in 1912. Brownsville's first high school class started in 1918 and graduated in 1922. A new gymnasium was built in 1930 east of the school building. This was a frame building but is no longer standing, having burned from an over-heated fire in the furnace.
In 1961 Union County schools were consolidated into a one-county system, and at that time Brownsville's high school students were transferred to Liberty. During the years 1964-65 and 1965-66 Brownsville and Dunlapsville Schools were combined under one administration, with Louis Stanley as principal. Grades one through four were at Dunlapsville and grades five through eight at Brownsville. Brownsville maintained its school until the new elementary school at Liberty was finished — second semester 1966-67 school year -- and the students then were transported to Liberty. The building was sold shortly thereafter, and has since been torn down. Today a business is located on the site of the old school.