HICKORY GROVE SCHOOL (From Union County
Hickory Grove School in eastern Liberty Township is believed to be the first school in Union County built under the Caleb Mill Program which provided that schools were to be tax supported and free to all. The school was built by William Grist in 1853 for $472.00. It was opened in 1854 with Thomas Wright as the first teacher. A second Hickory Grove School, built on the same site, is still standing.