KITCHEL SCHOOL, HARRISON TOWNSHIP
(Taken in part from thesis by Harold H. Michel)
The people of Harrison Township, realizing that the little brick one-room school had become inadequate, demanded that a school be built which would meet the needs of the present day. The high school pupils had formerly been transferred to other corporations at no small expense. It was decided that a school be built large enough to take care of both the grades and the high school.
The contract was let on April 17, 1923, and the excavation began that fall. The real construction did not begin until the following spring. The new building was completed on October 6, 1924. The enrollment in the twelve grades totaled 161. The first principal was Donald Simon, and the County Superintendent was C. C. Abernathy.
The first graduating class consisted of four members, and the first commencement exercises were held on May 27, 1925. Having fulfilled the requirements of the State Department, a commission was granted for the school year 1924-25. At one time the school held a first-class commission, being one of the few rural consolidated schools in the state holding such a commission at that time.
The school was organized on the 6-6 plan in 1925. The first six grades occupied the first floor and the upper six occupied the upper floor. The basement was used for special subjects. The Kitchel gym was built onto the school in 1940.
When the county-wide consolidation took place in 1961, high school students were transferred into Short High School at
Liberty. The Kitchel School was closed in 1981, and its students
transported to the Union County School system in Liberty. Shortly after the closing of the school, the Union County School Corporation deeded the property to Harrison Township for a nominal fee. A group of citizens were interested in preserving the facilities as a community center. The school facilities have since been torn down, and only the gym still stands.