PLEASANT HILL SCHOOL
The Pleasant Hill School was built in 1859. It was a one-story frame building built on a hill. The first teacher was Emily John. A spring, located at the foot of the hill on the east side of the road, furnished all the water we needed. As we knew nothing of germs or microbes, we all drank from the same tin cup, and managed to survive.
Our studies were made up of McGuffey's Readers, Ray's Practical Arithmetic, Stoddard1s Mental Arithmetic, geography, spelling and writing in a copy book. We had to work out problems on the blackboard. Our athletics were playing "Blackman" each noon, townball and "Anthony Over"; and when a deep snow came, sliding down the hill. Some of the students had sleds; and those who did not, slid down on their shoes when they could keep their balance.
Sometime in the 1890s the schoolhouse was burned in the night. It was thought to have been started by tramps. We will never know how the fire originated. The school was rebuilt but later fell victim to consolidation.