SAND RUN SCHOOL (Union Township House)
(By Mrs. Gordon Brandenburg)
Sand Run School (Union Township House) was built in 1868. This school was located one-half mile north of the Billingsville-Oxford Pike in Section Nine of Union Township in Union County. The structure was a two-story brick building. It was a large building with tall windows. The ground floor contained the desks for the grades one through eight. Bookcases held books brought periodically from the library at Liberty. Shelves held pencils, pen nibs, erasers, copy books, tablets, and ink which were all furnished by the county, free to the pupils. A large metal-jacketed stove, which burned coal or wood, stood at the back of the room. The pupils seated in the back part of the room stayed warm; and the students in the front part often were cold. On really cold days classes gathered around the stove.
The cloakrooms had shelves for dinner pails or baskets. Hooks were used to hang coats and other garments. A rope also dangled to ring the school bell to summon the kids to school. Sometimes it required two kids swinging on the rope to start the bell ringing. This bell still hangs in the belfry of the abandoned Billingsville Christian Church.
The second story housed large books no one ever read, sparrow nests, and noisy kids on rainy days. There was a small opening in the ceiling which the boys climbed through for a dark place to show slides on a magic lantern.