Descendants of James Davis
Generation No. 1
1. JAMES1 DAVIS was born 1761 in Hunterdon County, New Jersey, and died 26 Jun 1827 in Union County, Indiana. Burial: New Hope Cemetery He married MARY TAYLOR Abt. 1781 in Kingwood, Hunterdon, New Jersey, daughter of JOHN TAYLOR and ELIZABETH THATCHER. She was born Abt. 1765 in New Jersey, and died 24 Mar 1837 in Union County, Indiana. Burial: New Hope Cemetery
1) James Davis enlisted in the Revolutionary War, 3rd New Jersey Regiment. He enlisted on March 28, 1776 mustered at Ticonderoga, New York Nov 23, 1776 under Capt Samuel Flaniganís company 3rd Regiment 2nd Establishment to Jan 10, 1777. He mustered at Ft Independence, New York Feb 23-May 21, 1777.
James Davis enlisted in the Somerset militia and served four days at Princetown in 1777 several men from Hunterdon Co.
He served as a private in Capt Joshua Andersonís company 3rd New Jersey Regiment, in Capt Anthony Sharpís 6th company 3rd Regiment, 1st Establishment receiving $6.60 per month.
2) He served 1776-1780.
3) He appears on a roster for the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary war
4) He deserted June 1, 1777 and rejoined Feb 1, 1780.
5) He received a general settlement Aug 1780.
Tax List, New Jersey
1) James Davis on the ratable tax list for 1786 owned no land but had one cow in Amwell.
2) On the 1789 tax list he was a householder.
3) In 1797 he went into business with Henry Mettler with them owning several hundred acres of land along the Durham Road in Alexandria. The land was all sold by 1803 at various parcels. On the 1803 tax list he owned no land but had 4 horses and 2 cows.
1) James married Mary Taylor on Feb 11, 1792 near Kingwood, Hunterdon county.
2) Their first child Bartholomew was also born that day.
New Jersey land and Moving
1) On Mar 22, 1797 James and Mary purchased land in Alexandria township, New Jersey from James Parker. Apr 2, 1803 they sold this land to John Eahle, John Penwell and John Sinclair. The family moved to McMinnville, Tennessee; then on to Indiana.
1) In the land sales for Franklin county, Indiana out of the Cincinnati office: James Dec 11,1811 and Nov 22, 1814
2) James and Mary Davis lived on 326.2 acres in section 6 Union township, Union county. At the time of purchase he was listed as a resident of Tennessee.
3) James died Jun 15, 1827. The land is cut in half by the Dubois Creek which flows into the East Fork of the Whitewater River 3 miles to the west. James also owned 159.6 aces in the northwest quarter of section 23 Harrison township--1 1/2 miles northeast of Kitchell.
4) Union County Recorder's Office, Union County Court house, Union County Indiana, Land Record book D page 413. James Davis: This record mentions Mary, widow of James, dec., Bartholomew, Isaac, Jane, John and Lydia. It is concerning the settlement of the estate.
Will and Death
1) James' will is located in the Union County Court House, County Clerk's office. Small Will book pages 50-52. The will was written 6 January 1827 and recorded 8 August 1827. In it is mentioned sons: Samuel, Bartholomew, John and Isaac. Daughters Elizabeth Shannon, Rebecca Waddle, Jane and Mary. His wife was Mary.
2) Samuel Davis and James Snowden are confirmed as executors of the will of James Davis, deceased." Page 55. September 1827. Probate Order Book A.
3) Samuel Davis, an executor of the will of James Davis, deceased, is allowed twelve dollars for twelve days service as executor." Page 78. September 1829. Probate Order Book A.
4) James Snowden and Samuel Davis, executors of the will of James Davis, deceased, ask for further time to settle this estate." Page 139. January 8, 1831. Probate Order Book A.
5) The will of James Davis, deceased, is on this page, which was dated June 15, 1827 and was witnessed by Andrew Carmichael, Samuel Andrews and Ebenezer Hayward. He mentions his sons, Samuel, Bartholomew, John and daughters, Elizabeth Shannon, Rebecca Waddle, Jane Davis and Mary Davis. Also mentions his son Isaac, his wife Mary. He wants eight acres of Congress land to be purchased from the sale of his personal property for the use of Rebecca Waddle during her natural life and the remainder to her heirs. He app. James Snowden and son Samuel to be his exs. Will proved August 8, 1827." Page 50. Wills and Inventories
6) The personal property of James Davis, deceased, is listed here and includes a mill for cleaning grain, sundry blacksmith tools, a judgment against Seth V. Carter at $240. Appraised by John Creek and Joseph Billings. A sale bill is also listed." Page 136. Wills and Inventories
7) Samuel Davis, one of the executors of the will of James Davis, deceased makes application for final settlement of this estate. A payment to John Davis of $100 is listed. Disbursements"
8) Samuel Davis, one of the executors of the will of James Davis, deceased, makes application for final settlement of this estate. A payment to John Davis of $100 is listed. Disbursements of $109 go to Daniel / or David Brown, and of $50 to Elijah Waddle in full of the legacy of Rebecca Waddle by James Davis, her Father. John Davis also signs a receipt for $50 for her part, and for Elizabeth Shannon for her part, also Bartholomew Davis for his legacy. Mary Davis, the widow of James Davis states tha she is satisfied with the arrangement that her son had made with her in accordance with the will." January 1832. Complete Record Probate Book A page 210
1) 1820 Census. Franklin County, Indiana (now Union) Bath Township. 0-1-0-0-0-1-0-1
Maryís will made Aug 5, 1836 with Bartholomew as executor. The personal property was appraised at $436.12 1/2 including notes from Isaac for $40, Samuel $10, John $18, George Cline $60, rent from Bartholomew for $140.25 and Isaac for $32.75. The will was probated May 30, 1838 with $698 from sale of goods and collection of debts. Distribution was $63.42 to each child with the exception of Rachel who was given $100 for her care. Bartholomew received Rachelís and George Clineís share to manage.
Will: 05 Aug 1835, Dated - Probate Book B Page 475
Children of JAMES DAVIS and MARY TAYLOR are:
i. ELIZABETH2 DAVIS,
b. Bet. 1790 - 1797, Hunterdon County, New Jersey; d. Bef. 1844, Knox County, Illinois; m. WILLIAM W. SHANNON, Bef. 1813, Indiana; b. 1790, Bucks County, Pennsylvania; d. Aft. 1850, Knox Co, IL?.
ii. BARTHOLOMEW DAVIS,
b. 15 Feb 1792, Hunterdon County, New Jersey; d. 28 Aug 1848, Union County, Indiana; m. RACHEL MAXWELL OR DAVIS, 26 Sep 1813, Union County, Indiana; b. 17 May 1798, Kentucky; d. 27 Sep 1859, Union County, Indiana.
iii. REBECKAH DAVIS,
b. 17 Nov 1793, Hunterdon County, New Jersey; d. 13 Oct 1847, Rush County, Indiana; m. ELIJAH WADDLE, 24 Oct 1814, Franklin County, Indiana; b. 11 Apr 1796, Maryland; d. 05 Apr 1865, Rush County, Indiana.
iv. SAMUEL DAVIS,
b. 10 Aug 1795, Hunterdon County, New Jersey; d. 04 Nov 1867, Mixerville, Franklin County, Indiana; m. DORCAS JONES FLINT, 18 Dec 1817, Union County, Indiana; b. 21 Sep 1795, Worchester County, Maryland; d. 21 Nov 1868, Union County, Indiana.
v. JOHN W. DAVIS,
b. 01 Apr 1797, Hunterdon County, New Jersey; d. 17 Sep 1870, Union County, Indiana; m. LYDIA FARMER, 19 Apr 1826, Probably Union or Franklin County, Indiana; b. 14 Dec 1810, Unknown; d. 18 Feb 1837, Union County, Indiana.
vi. JANE DAVIS,
b. 1811, Ohio or Indiana; d. 1898, Linn County, Oregon; m. GEORGE CLINE, 09 Nov 1834, Union County, Indiana; b. 31 Mar 1799, Jefferson County, Ohio; d. 21 Apr 1864, Linn County, Oregon.
vii. LOWELL DAVIS,
b. Aft. 1799, Hunterdon County, New Jersey; d. Bef. 1827, Probably Indiana.
viii. ISAAC P. DAVIS,
b. 20 Jan 1806, Butler County, Ohio; d. 24 Apr 1858, Union County, Indiana; m.
(1) SARAH COFFMAN, 18 Jan 1831, Union County, Indiana; b. Bet. 1800 - 1810, Indiana - Ohio - Pennsylvania - Virginia; d. Bef. 1841, Union County, Indiana; m.
(2) MARTHA BARR, 13 Sep 1841, Union County, Indiana; b. 02 Nov 1812, Virginia; d. 27 May 1864, Union County, Indiana.
ix. MARY DAVIS,
b. Abt. 1808, Unknown; d. Bet. 1850 - 1860, Decatur County, Indiana; m. JOSEPH BILLINGS, 15 Mar 1829, Union County, Indiana; b. Abt. 1806, Ohio; d. Bet. 20 Mar - 11 Apr 1876, Decatur County, Indiana.