Public Schools Brownsville township
1. Quinn School 3. Bell School 5. Smith School 7. Beck School 8. Burke School
To date, no information has been found.
2. Pleasant Hill
2. Pleasant Hill School was built in 1859. It was a one story frame building. The first teacher was Emily John. A spring at the foot of the hill furnished water for the students. The studies were made up of McGuffey’s Readers, Ray’s Practical Arithmetic, Stoddard’s Mental Arithmetic, geography, spelling and writing in a copy book. Sometime in the 1890’s the schoolhouse burned during the night. The school was rebuilt but later fell victim to consolidation.
4. Clifton School
The first Clifton School was a one-room wood frame building located about a quarter of a mile east of Clifton. It was heated with a wood stove. In 1907 a two-room brick building was built on the northwest corner of the cross-roads in Clifton. In early years from the time it was built until late 1920’s the building was used as a Methodist church plus the school. Grades one through ten were taught there. In 1920 when Brownsville High School was commissioned the ninth and ten grades transferred to Brownsville. School for grades one through eight were held there until the early 1950’s and then was used for all children in Brownsville from grades one through three. In 1961 after consolidation the Clifton school closed. The building still is standing.
The first public school in Brownsville was near the town of Brownsville, prior the platting of the town. The building was made of hewn logs and had a dirt floor.
Greased paper covered the windows and warmed by a fireplace. Later a log school was built in the east part of town and served as the main school house for several years.
A subscription school was in session during the spring months in a building
now occupied by Mrs. Kinder. After the Methodist Church was built the old brick church served as a seat of learning for some years.
In 1856 a two-story brick building was erected on a site in the center of Brownsville. It was torn down in 1897 and replaced by a four room building. In 1912 a two story building, also in the center of town, was the last school to stand in Brownsville. The building was consumed by fire in the 1960’s or 70’s.
© 2008 Union County Public Library
Questions or Comments send to: Webmaster
Site Maintained by the UCPL