Creek School was two miles north of Billingsville at the intersection of McDill Road and Liberty Pike, on a knoll at the southwest corner. It was a frame structure of popular wood and heated by a fireplace. It was named for a family that lived nearby. The school was financed by subscriptions. Parents or guardians paid five cents a day per public. The term lasted for two to three months. Some of the teachres were John Atkinson, George Paddock and Sarah and Ben Maxwell..
Bonner School was located two miles east of Creek School at the crossing of Sand Run and McDill road. It was a one story, one room brick building. The land on which it stood was owned by John Bonner. Until 1986 an attractive marker commemorating the Bonner School was centered in the play ground and site of the school.
The fence and marker was removed and it now used as farming ground. The last four teachers were Mrs. Allie Davis Miller, Miss Jeanette Craddock, Mrs Ruth Kaufmann and Mrs. Cora Daughterty. Bonner school closed in 1926 and children west of the railroad went to Billingsville and those east of the tracks went to College Corner.
Smith School was mentioned by Kellas R. Drake but no information has been found about this school.
Old Mill School
Old Mill School was mentioned by Kellas R. Drake but no information has been found.
Billingsville school was a one-room brick building located on the south edge of the village of Billingsville. It was situated on the east side of Liberty Pike. When the new school was opened in 1926 the first school closed and torn down. The new school accomodated students from New Hope, Bonner, Sand Run as well as the Billingsville student body.
The two-story building, across the road from the Christian Church consisted of 4 classrooms, 2 upstairs and 2 on the first floor. Two grades were in each room plus a gym, a stage and a balcony plus two large rest rooms.
There was a large play ground and ample room for a small airplane to land and take passengers for a ride over surrounding farmland.
The school closed around 1953. It has since been torn down but the large play ground remains in surrounded by large trees.
Sand Run School
Sand Run School was named for a beautiful stream that flows nearby. The location was two miles south of Bonner School at the crossroads of Sand Run and 550 South. On the southwest corner, a cement marker containing an inscribed sand stone block from the front of the last building, a hugh maple tree and the school pump designate the site. The plaque was stolen. It had been placed there when the building was demolished in the early 1930ís. The original school was a primitive log structure and was used four about 40 years. Then in 1868 a two-story, two-room building replaced the log school. It was the only rural two-story school in Union township. Mahlon Morris, township trustee was responsible for obtaining more land from Benjamin Miller and Charles Hand to enlarge the play ground. Across the road stood a small stable to shelter
horses or ponies driven to school
In 1923 the school was closed and until 1926 when when the new consolidated school was built at Billingsville the elementary students attended the College Corner School.
The Long School was mentioned by Mr. Drake but no information available.
Universalist School is the only remaining one-room school building in Union township. It is at the north end of Harmony Road as it meets Contreras Road. It is now a private residence. It has been the home of George Buttery family for many years.
The school did not follow the usual rule of placing schools two miles apart. There was no other school within that radius. The Universalist Church was just south of the school and on the same road.