Public Schools Harmony township
Dubois School Townhouse School
To date, no information has been found.
Soon after the close of the Civil War a school building was erected on Section 32 in Harmony township. He was known as the Pigman school, named for an early settler of that township. It was a rectangular frame building overlooking a small creek. It was a one-room building with a raised platform, windows on two sides, blackboard across the front and a hall across the back. A large stove kept the students comfortable in the winter. No date available when it closed.
New Hope School
Land for the New Hope school was donated by James and Mary Snowden in 1820. The land, which was one and one-twentieth acres, also provided a Church and Grave Yard. The frame building built in 1893, still stands and is a private residence. The school closed during the 1956-57 school year and the students were transferred to Union School at College Corner.
Egypt School was a one-room school built in 1857 in the southwestern part of Harmony town. The community is now known as Egypt’s Hollow. Some of the teachers who taught there were: Leland Bond, Perry Campbell, Clayton Bond and Bessie Wilson. The school was abandoned in 1923.
Copes Chapel was used as a schoolhouse until the first school was erected in 1858 and was named Jersey, because many of the families who had settled in the area were from New Jersey. It had one room and was 24x36 feet and accommodated 50 or 60 pupils. That school closed in 1895 and was replaced by a brick building. It was built in 1904. There was a rail fence along the road. There was a cupola with a bell. The windows were large and provided light by day but if there was an event in the evening coal-oil lamps were used. The building is now a pile or rubble.
© 2008 Union County Public Library
Questions or Comments send to: Webmaster
Site Maintained by the UCPL