Sammons School Coon Path or Duvalle School John Kitchel School Hart School
No information available.
Smelser School is believed to have been the first school in Harrison township.It is thought to have became a school in about 1807. That is all that is known.
Harrison or Kitchel School
The residence of Harrison township realized that the small schools they had in the township were not adequate and they began construction in 1923. The building was completed on October 6, 1924. The enrollment in the twelve grades totaled 161. The first graduation consisted of four members . It was a three story brick. The first to sixth grades were on the first floor, and the upper six occupied the second floor. The basement was used for special subjects. The gymnasium was completed in 1940. When the county-wide
consolidation took place in 1961, high school students transferred to Liberty. The Kitchel school closed in 1981 and again the students were transported to Liberty. The School Corp. deeded the property to Harrison township for a nominal fee. The community had hoped to use it as a community center. Eventually the school was torn down and only the gym remains but as of 2008 it soon may be destroyed.
Hanna Creek School
Hanna’s Creek School was the only school in Harrison township that offered education through the 10th grade. Students desiring to further their education had to go elsewhere, perhaps Liberty or Richmond.
© 2008 Union County Public Library
Questions or Comments send to: Webmaster
Site Maintained by the UCPL